Tuesday, May 02, 2006

....well, I've been busy....

I see that I have not contributed too this project a lot for six or more months. Truth is, I have been busy, and it is all I can do to keep up with not getting anything accomplished.

Today was one of those days when one hurries to do not too damn much. I did a few light chores, made a couple of phone calls, (more on that later), and found time to scrounge through the refrigerator for some leftover pot roast and noodles. I heated that mix up, and turned on the idiot box too see if I could lose my concentration. What I watched was the 1940 film version of Steinbecks "The Grapes of Wrath". Let me say that the film was a bit dilluted from the novel, and had definately been adapted to fit the moment, (I suppose moments were a lot longer then...), but I was simply dumbstruck by how much the scenario that is the backdrop of the book and movie matched the social and economic landscape that we have before us today. Why hadn't we/I noticed that before? If I get the time, I may pontificate on this a bit later, but I am amazed that the general populace is as accepting of the status quo as it seems to be. perhaps I am not too engaged with the general populace, and live in my own little universe, (as we all do to one degree or another).

I have heard a little bit about a new record by Neil Young. Today, I streamed the entire work from a site that actually encouraged a free listen. I had heard that the record had been produced in under a week, with a pickup band. Under many circumstances, that fact would cause me to roll my eyes and wonder what the world was coming to, but in my opinion and experience, Mr. Young works well when he works fast. In any case, I live by the adage that nothing is ever free, so I listened skeptically at first. Let me say right now that this is an overtly politcal work, the 21st century equivalent of a pamphlet or tract, a viewpoint is presented and its purpose is to influence the listener. How successful that will be remains to be seen, but this album is a winner. One need not agree with the politics presented here to enjoy the work and appreciate the views and the way that they are presented here. In many, many instances, I am usually very unimpressed with celebrities who have appeared on TV or the big screen, or stage, who may have flown the Atlantic and flaunt their fame with opinions, meant to enlighten the rest of us. I will refrain from mentioning any names, (but you know who I am typing about), but this album lacks that preachy quality. It is unambiguously and unapologetically political, but one does not sense that the artist is looking down on the listener as he dispenses his wisdom, it is, an editorial, presented in the hope of influencing opinions and actions, but mindful and respectful of the differences between individuals. I admire that. If you are interested, you may listen to the album, (it runs about 45 minutes) at this link. I know not how long this will be good, so try it and forgive me if it doesn't work.

http://www.mvyradio.com/features/neil_young.php

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home