Monday, October 09, 2006

here's a thought that will fester...

Well, they did it. The DPRK has, from all indications, exploded an A-Bomb in an underground test. The apparent yield, (at least according to the news outlets), was equal to about 550 tons of TNT. Some of the talking heads on MSNBC and CNN seem to take a bit of comfort in the smaller yeild, and maybe it is justified. In the US nuclear program, we have had some misfires and duds that yielded sub-kiloton explosions.

Just to give you a little bit of pause, the yield of the test today is roughly equal to the smallest weapon in the US inventory, a nuke that weighs under one hundred pounds and can be carried by one man in a backpack or suitcase configuration. If the DPRK has pursued that particular course, they don't need missiles or all kinds of technology for a strike against anywhere. Just a car or a plane ticket.

Have a nice day!

7 Comments:

Blogger Woozie said...

USAUSAUSAUSAUSA!

Our posts on this both began with the same sentence, interesting...

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We got guns, they got guns, all God's chillun got guns!
I'm gonna walk all over the battlefield, 'cause all God's chillun got guns! [borrowed from Duck Soup]

3:14 PM  
Blogger eccentric recluse said...

Margaret, so good to hear from you!

Rufus is having a minor breakdown, he has a stand-in for a couple of days...

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been know to have a few minor breakdowns, myself. The world will do that to one. I tend to go MIA those days.

Perhaps it is his blood pressure? (Too high on one side?) I happen to know a good doctor...

Did you know that the term "Duck Soup" is slang for "an easily accomplished task"? I never knew that. I thought you might appreciate that little tidbit (unless, of course, you already knew).

Here's well wishes to President Firefly for a quick and complete recovery(!)

4:48 PM  
Blogger Cathy D. said...

Lighten up, Ho!

7:54 PM  
Blogger eccentric recluse said...

You talkin to me Santa?

8:04 PM  
Blogger The Rock Lobster said...

Hey, thanks for the comment on my blog. I tried the "next blog" button once, but I always landed on blogs that are like, "Hi! I'm 13 and can't spell!"

Anyway, I like your take on current events. You've got a little bit of snark going on, and I like that in a blog. Kudos!

6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home