Tuesday, October 10, 2006

oh geez

News sources in japan are saying that they believe that the DPRK has tested another device.

The USGS believes this to be a magnitude 5 earthquake in the Sea of Japan. Sensors in Australia and elsewhere on the pacific rim are inconclusive.

Even now, certain intelligence agencies in the US are saying that the blast in the DPRK was not nuclear. See it here.

The agitation that this whole mess is generating is a measurement of sorts of just how serious, and therefore trigger-happy the powers in the region are. This bears close attention over the next few days...

6 Comments:

Blogger Bearwolph said...

hay what if the North Korean test was to see if they could use underground explosions to start an earthquake and sink Japan. I could happen.

11:17 AM  
Blogger eccentric recluse said...

yes, you could happen, and apparently have. I don't know about the seismic stuff, but I have lots of questions about this explosion. It might have been a dud, or it might have been a smaller weapon, (stepping ahead of the place that every other nuclear power has started).

12:31 PM  
Blogger Anthony said...

I don't know if I should be scared of this or not. I'm leaning towards "no".

2:22 PM  
Blogger Anthony said...

I don't know if I should be scared of this or not. I'm leaning towards "no".

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think if I were the leaders of Japan, I'd be a little nervous amidst the *rumors*.

It was bound to happen, don't you think - ths *sharing* of all of these *fine toys* we've allowed ourselves to invent? It is as if our (in the humankind sense) technological prowess has exceeded the rate of (positive) growth of the evolution of our other instincts (e.g. the desire to war). And perhaps - just perhaps, it is time now to "re-write" our philosophy as it pertains to our other human inventions in the realms of politics, sociology, psychology, economics, etc. (e.g. how to wage war) as these instincts/inventions seem to have become outdated.

If that is possible, anyway...

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are right margaret, I don't know what the answer to it all is, but vaguely suspect that it will be unpleasant.

btw, I watched myself on Dick Cavett last night.

-Rufus

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home