Sunday, November 26, 2006

I just have to say this before the Monday news cycle

Anybody who reads this page already knows that I have a burr under my saddle over the new Speaker of the House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi. That isn't news, but this is. If she does not change her general demeanor, and I mean QUICK, she is going to push the party away from a potential White House win in two years. As it stands right now, it appears to me that the GOP plans to link every ill-considered action and utterance on her part, (and in her position, every action and utterance needs to be considered and vetted by her peers), with two things: (1) the image of a far-left west coast agenda and Sen. Hillary Clinton. The two women have not that much in common, but both have been painted with the liberal pink brush of the rightwing media, both are routinely villified by that same element of the press, and both are Democratic politicians. In many feeble minds, that is all that is required to cement a vote for the GOP.

You heard it here first.

Stay focused.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pud said...

Do you think she will pull it off?

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pud: which she? I assume you mean Hillary, and my answer is no, but I qualify that with the thought that she already knows that she won't, so she is building a powerbase and establishing her influence in the Senate and House. Pelosi? If she does not put on a "common sense progressive" suit pretty quick she won't be there long...

E_R

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

E.R. you do realize don't you that the press (those liberal bastards) and the republics are going to pile on Nancy NO MATTER what she says and does. Which issues are you having problems with N.P. on?

JB

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Specifically, I am worried that she will railroad the chairmanship of the intelligence committee to a crony, bypassing the existing rules of the house. That in itself is not a major issue with me, however, her preferred candidate has a bit of ethical baggage, the role of the committee will be in the fore over the next two years, (not to mention the election), and it needs to be as slick as possible to have any credibility. NP is an 'in-your-face' politician--an admirable trait at times -- but she is painting herself, and by extension, her party, with the same brush that was used to tar the GOP three weeks ago. She is not presenting herself or the party as anything but more of the same old sh*t.

8:57 AM  
Blogger eccentric recluse said...

my final post on this, before moving on. I have nothing against Ms Pelosi in a political sense, I don't agree with her 100% but I don't disrespect her.

Her demeanor is preening, it leaves me with the impression that she is chest thumping and interested in establishing a new order, (as opposed to regime), right now. Thats OK, except she does not have the backing of a plurality of the electorate. A more conservative, (non-capitalized) approach would accomplish more and help to lay a foundation for the next election.

I might be pleasantly surprised by this whole thing, having her as speaker and her cronies in place might prove t be a good thing. But the way she comes across today, before actually becoming Speaker, tends to undermine the party, not just with those on the right side of the political middle, (some of whom describe themselves as Democrats), as well as a percentage of those ostensibly on her side of the middle ground. It goes against the grain for beauty queens and politicians to be deferential, but I believe that is what is called for here. It would rob the opposition of a means to demonize her, and would give some political coverage for those steps that need to be taken for progress to be made in 2008.

just my $0.02.

btw, I claim no infallibility here, I might be completely wrong. I simply have the time to pontificate to those who might listen, (or not run fast enough to avoid it).

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home