Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I'm not sure what to make of this



The comic was rather well timed, wasn't it?


Rep. Charles Rangel, who is slated to be the Chairman of the House Ways & Means Committee come January, has put forth the proposition that the military draft should be reinstated, (according to news reports, for men between the ages of 18 & 26).

OK.

I don't know if the man is serious, or is merely trying to drive a wedge between the 'common folk' and those with sufficient money to sty out of the military, (some of the grandstanding I whined about in my last post). It's too early to tell.

Speaking as someone who lottery number was in the low 150's the year I became eligible for conscription, (I probably would have been called, had my last semester of high school and the end of the Vietnam War not intervened...), I think that the issue has some merit and is deserving some discussion, although the incoming Speaker, Nancy Pelosi, has already vetoed the notion.

What I want to know is, why just men; and how universal will this be? In other words, who among us will be able to escape this obligation?

I don't believe that the draft will be reinstated, it is too much of a political hot-potato for either party, regardless of any other stance or issue. But consider the idea that, in many cycles of relative peace, such a universal draft would give us sufficient manpower to keep up with a lot of the little jobs that don't seem to get done, it would provide an opportunity for one more tier of practical education, which would have the potential to positively impact a demographic group that, frankly, could use the help.

Just something to talk about.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Currently enlisting is a viable avenue toward citizenship for legal immigrants, though not illegal aliens. There is talk of changing that. (NPR last night)

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ER, I don't know exactly what Rep. Rangel is proposing at this stage but I do remember he was talking about this even before the invasion of Iraq....for what that's worth.

JB

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yep, he has been talking about this for a few years. I am not sure what he proposes either, the devil, as they say, is in the details (or the White House, depending on who you ask).

What I find appealing is the notion, buried in there, that for a short time in the life of a citizen, class differences, economic status, family background can all be neutralized. (Yeah, I know that ain't gonna happen).

E_R

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ER, hehe...I believe their are more than a few little devils running around on this earth.

Unlike the past few years of no debate I think it's very healthy to have this draft idea debated for all to see and think about.

Rep. Rangel is sticking his neck out with what will most likely be a very unpopular idea. If we'd had others in the public spotlight sticking their necks out the last 6 to 12 years maybe we'd have avoided certain landmines we're sure to set off in the coming years.

btw, very eerie listing to that song. I seem to remember that from my younger days.

JB

7:20 AM  
Blogger eccentric recluse said...

yeah, one of the benefits of being my age is that I recognize a very wide array of cultural signposts and icons.

yes, Rangel is sticking his neck out, but I ask myself if this would come up if not for the safety of a 'not-a-chance' Congress. I don't know if it is a good idea or not, but you are right, it is worth talking about.

the odd thing here is that if we were universally drafting kids into a free labor pool, for the good of the country you know, the party on the right would be tripping over their slobbering tongues to support the idea...

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-abrams/want-to-end-the-war-thi_b_34618.html

Personally ER I like this idea from above to end the Iraq occupation. I just read it and thought I'd share.

JB

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home