Wednesday, December 06, 2006

why I am ambivalent about the season ...

There are many reasons why this is my least favorite time of the year. My bud Woozie has a few observations on "the Holidays", (the sterilized non-offensive term used by business that caters to a large and diverse clientele that covers Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanza and whatever else is celebrated in the general time frame), as well as "the War on Christmas" as enunciated by Bill O'Reilly.

I don't like this time of year because of the heightened expectations of enrichment by the commercial community, the ease of borrowing money as presented by the bankcard community, and the notion, held by some members of the general community that they are held in such esteem that nearly everyone will want to sign up for their christmas wish list, or, in the same spirit, nearly bankrupt themselves in buying something for the children of these esteemed beautiful people.

Get a grip on it, OK.

I had a short conversation with a relative today and the time was nothing but catching up and reminiscing on how long we have been, well, family. I recall a time when I would pick this now 30-something person up, and toss her into the air, letting her touch the ceiling, then catching her and collecting my hug or kiss. That, is what the holiday season should be, a few weeks of low stress, no expectation catching up, just to re-orient ourselves to who we are and where we are going.

An hour or so later, I had an even shorter conversation with an acquaintance who just had to give me the scoop on what her kids wanted for Christmas and what I could be counted on for. I thought I had that beat, gently circling the issue conversationally, when she told me that the times we were in, (she said we, she was aiming at me) were the product of the choices we had made. Like my circumstances are the product of choices, but her's are a gift from God to everyone to be able to indulge her kids.

Get real will ya?

I think gifting is nice, I just don't wish to have somebodies wish list, (besides those of my own extended family), stuck down my throat.

Then there is the social aspect of the season. Peace on Earth, Good Will Towards Men? I would sooner be a border patrolman in Gaza than work at the mall parking lots. And when we get past that, there is nothing but rushing to be done in the mall. If you don't keep up with the crowd, you get trampled. I am willing to bet that I passed through the field of vision of at least twenty people that know me, (and claim it), who either did not notice or were focused on other objectives.

And that word, objective, to me, is anethema to what is generally accepted as "the Holiday spirit". That, Mr O'Reilly, is the true 'war' on Christmas, and it is just as much a war on the other holidays. Stick that down your chimney.






Now that I have that off my chest, it leads me to my next post, which is both a rant and a request to be informed....

1 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

True, maybe we need a revolution. Christmas needs to be taken back from certain super-greedy conglomerates, who I won't name here... Let's just call them Wallmark and Hal*Mart. Hehe!

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home