Saturday, January 20, 2007

winter weekend

It has been a heck of a week in my own normally reclusive life, but I will spare you those details right now.

In news this past week, Hillary Clinton, Barak Obama, Sam Brownback have entered the race for the White House in 2008. I'm sooooooo relieved, I was really worried about that.

China has successfully tested an anti-satellite weapon, shooting down a weather satellite that is near the ends of its life. This is significant for the US, as our command and control network is dependent on rapid, dependable communications. It is not clear that this weapon has any application as an ABM system, the mechanics of hitting an object in a known orbit are much less complicated than hitting say, an inbound nuke, but it does give pause. In a crisis, the Chinese may be able to cripple US ability to monitor, and therefore react to, military developments. It may not seem like a big deal, but this may be as significant as the threat of smaller nuclear powers emerging in the region.

The President has decided it is time to reform the nations health care system. I am not amused here. In the first place, the plan, like that in California, only enlarges the network of health care insurance, (I admit that is better than nothing), it is simply enlarging the single largest source of inefficiency and waste in the present system. That those inefficiencies directly translate to profit for the insurers complcates matters further still. Secondly, this comes from a man who has a bit less standing with the public than Ronald McDonald. The fact that he is rolling this out smacks of legacy building rather than an effort to actually improve the lives of his constituents.

It is snowing here on the plains, this following a storm that deposited several inches of ice this past week. Winter is definately here...

Whats up with any/all/either of you?

8 Comments:

Blogger leelee said...

Hi E_R I've been wondering what's up with you...figured you were snowed in..still in the 80's here (Love to say that in Jamuary) but we are expecting a wintry blast (65) later in the week..we look forward to that down here...you should see all the bad sweaters in South Florida when a cold front moves in..see it works like this...you live up north..you decide to move to Florida..you figure...don't need a coat anymore..so they bring down a couple of sweaters, the rub is..they never buy another sweater or light jacket, so if they moved here in like 1975, that is the vintage outerwear that they don on our rare "cold" days..you cannot believe how many Members Only jackets are down here...it's amazing and they are in pristine condition.

7:11 AM  
Blogger eccentric recluse said...

thanks for coming back by! yeah, I visited the general area about five years ago, thought 65 was warm enough to swim in the ocean, (multiple times!), I was looked upon as slightly 'touched' by some of who I took for locals, (that look is something I am accustomed to...)

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ER. Well it is sort of bizarre..you know, moving snow off my ice covered driveway. I just now got most of the ice off my front steps. I can honestly say I do not miss working and/or driving in this stuff!

How about this.....married 29 years to the same woman. Well I say the same, I guess we've both changed a little bit!!!

JB

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's probably about 50 degrees out, over here. That's what we Californians consider effin' COLD. OK, I'm a wuss. Boys, cats and I are just relaxing, enjoying some toast. :)

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JB:

Congratulations to the both of you on that milestone. But consider this, had you shot her rather than marry her, (or, she, you), you'd be gettin' out about now....

Who are your anniversary playoff picks?

E_R

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to go with the home team, Bears, for one. I enjoyed what I've seen of the Saints but doubt they can pull it off.

For some reason the Colts just don't seem to manage in the big games. This might be the year but I'll still put YOUR money on the Pats.

JB

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you might be right on New England, but I hope not. two chances to stop them, today and the 3rd.

time will tell.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Woozie said...

What's up? Oh, nothing, just the NFC Championship...

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home