Wednesday, January 10, 2007

...think I'll call in sick that day...

It was bound to happen. An article in Popular Science notes that our fair planet is in the crosshairs of an asteroid, that is, we might be as high on the evolutionary scale as we are likely to get...

April 13, 2029 may be the day. Asteroid Apophis will cross the earths orbit, and possibly pass as close to 20,000 miles of the planet. (That would put it inside the orbit of our geosynchronous satellite network...). The article also notes that the close encounter could cause a very slight shift in the asteroids orbit, that would cause an impact with our planet on its next pass, 7 years later.

I just don't know what to think.

Read the article, it is interesting. With the data that is known today, the probable impact area is charted to pass across Siberia and the North Pacific, along the western seaboard of the US, then across Central America.

Ever get those enails advertising property in Costa Rica? The value of that land could go way down in 2036.....

Do you think we should do anything about it? Do you think it will pay off to worry about it?

I don't know either, but, I can tell you, that if I am still around in those two potentially apocalyptic years, I won't file my taxes until the rock goes on past....

7 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

I think if our satellites (and the income of the businesses that own them) are in danger, then a solution for the asteroid will appear just in time.
- Anne

9:11 AM  
Blogger Woozie said...

Awesome, I get to watch the apocalypse!

12:07 PM  
Blogger eccentric recluse said...

and some people said you are the apocalypse Woozie!

showed them, huh?

1:21 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

hey, thanks for the IPOD suggestions!!

a Jerry fan , huh? :)

6:16 PM  
Blogger sammyray said...

I did some research on this, and the likelihood of a collision is quite small. The pass before that one in 2029 will tell us more about its actual course, and scientists have come up with ways to divert it.

Their best idea involves sending a bunch of oil workers into space to drill into the asteroid and plant a bomb. Aerosmith will write a crappy song for the occassion.

10:31 PM  
Blogger mika said...

damn, ill be 46 in 2029!

you cant deny that its an interesting way to kick the bucket.

is there a way to stop an asteroid from colliding with the earth?

6:04 AM  
Blogger eccentric recluse said...

mika: I will be, eh, a bit older than 46, so I don't know if I care.

sammyray: you are right, but people flock to lottery games on odds a lot longer than these. imagine if a President decided to chance it, and a large city/state was lost, he would go down in the history books with GWB...

nicole: no charge for that. I can help you if you want, contact me offline...

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home