Monday, January 08, 2007

man rediscover's fire

A couple of days ago, a posting appeared on Anne's page lamenting the issue of anonymous commenting on blogs here and there, specifically, anonymous postings whose intentions were clearly malevolent, spiteful or hateful.

I won't make any attempt to defend hatred of any sort, and those who would use the (apparent) anonymity of the internet as a shield are simply a bunch of assholes, however, I would like to segregate a small number of anonymous posters from the rest of the group, and take a look at their actions.

Flame-Warriors! Come on down!!

We have all seen flame wars here or there, many of us have enjoyed them, and even participated in them. I believe that many of these instances are healthy for the community, (yeah, I know, quite a few also get a bit out of hand, but thats another post...); they are an outlet for emotions, (cyber-emotions?), and allow a means to aire and debate what may be an unpopular opinion on an issue or individual without actually upsetting the decorum of the general community. I am certain that in many instances, the identity of anonymous posters is known to most or all of the community, but the veneer of anonymity allows for expression, if not always resolution, of simmering sentiments. Other times it is a good way to simply wrestle with a fellow blogger, sometimes over nothing in particular, just to let it go. A return to one's normal identity, (as if that is not anonymous enough), signifies a return to the polite conventions of the blogsphere.

The internet is becoming a larger presence on the social scene. People meet, make deals, have affairs, and sometimes fall in love online. The pheonomenon of flaming is (sometimes) simply a natural response to an unfulfilled need on the part of the community, and its members.

Those in disagreement can sign on as anonymous and let me know what kind of ******** I really am.....

2 Comments:

Blogger Vengelyne said...

I've nothing against anonymousE commenters, but if they're going to attack someone on their blog then why do it in discretion?

I've been attacked by 1 particular guy before who comments anonymously using different names. I ignore and do not retaliate and he went off after 2 months or so.

I believe in free speech and allow people to say what they want and will about me in my blog, that's why I never disabled the anonymous comment.

4:14 AM  
Blogger Roy said...

Hmmm...I never thought of it that way. It sort of makes sense. We are, after all, often little more than a bunch of angry primates with unusually high linguistic abilities.

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home