Wednesday, December 13, 2006

What can, what should be said?

I have been going around and around with myself trying to comment on the conference in Tehran on the Holocaust. I have written a fairly lengthy posting, it is currently in draft form for editing, but I don't know where I will go with that.

It is not enough to condemn this conference, (I liken it to a circle jerk of the worlds leading hate-mongers and ideologues), but it is so much more than that. I go off on tangents wondering why people attend these things, or even believe that they have any credibility. That question alone is beyond me.

The conference is being attended by a variety of characters from around the world, including several Jews, (who incidentally, do not deny the Holocaust), and David Duke from Louisiana, who, bless his heart, is walking proof that the first amendment is still alive.

I wonder, how do we as a people deal with this kind of thing? The motives of Iran, who is hosting the event are fairly transparent. They seek the dissolution of the state of Israel, by whatever means necessary. But what of the other participants?

What drives the hatred of the Jews, as a people, a religion and as a political entity?

6 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

I once Googled the words "why hate Jews." I found millions of lame excuses, but not a single logical, irrefutable reason. It really is a baffling phenomenon about which countless people (including myself) have written without ever finding a good answer. All I think I can say is that ignorance breeds fear. For a very good Israeli blog, go to www.abbagav.com ...sorry, for some reason I have difficulty posting links in comments.

As for the militant Islamists, their agenda toward Israel and everyone else is quite transparent and heinous.

Thank you for standing up for the wonderful Jewish people and Israel.

8:33 PM  
Blogger mika said...

hmmm... its sad that Jews have always been descriminated against. My jewish history teacher says that it's because religion and god are more important to them than being patriotic or political. before the holocaust they didn't really have a proper recognised "homeland", thus they were seen as intruders in other countries and everything that was bad was blamed on the jew.

i don't know how true this is, to me it seems a bit silly to hate a religion for the above reasons, but i guess we'll never really know.

love the music!! its so beautiful!

4:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your last paragraph is a doozie. It points out that it is not a simple question, but at least as 3-sided as you pose. Jews have been hated for who they are; how they believe; and for the gray area surrounding their sovereignty. That would be: Racism, Religious persecution and Territorial zealotry... all at once.

The best way to confront ignorant hate, is to break it down and shine some light on it. Dig deep.. speculate even.. post in your own words, what you think might be the answers to your last paragraph.

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Religious intolerance and bigotry will always be with us. But it seems to me that a fairly recent phenomenon is that it's okay to wear your intolerance as a badge of honor. "My God is the only true....."

Until recently I've only stood by and watched but I've have become a bit vocal with those around me that use hate to push what they believe. Maybe we all need to start to stand up and call people out.

JB

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe we all need to start to stand up and call people out.

I think we do. Those bullies who push what they believe using hate are no different now than they probably were on the playground in school, and the remedy is the same, as you say.

4:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I forgot to identify myself. Damn non-beta bloggers!
-Roy

4:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home